Dr. Omair Shafiq
- +1 (613) 520-2600 x6038
- Personal Website
Dr. Omair Shafiq
M. Omair Shafiq is an Associate Professor at the School of Information Technology, Carleton University, Canada. His research interests include Data Modeling, Big Data Analytics, Services Computing, Machine Learning and Cloud Computing. He received several awards such as NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship Award and Mitacs Elevate Postdoctoral Fellowship Award in 2015-2016 competition, NSERC Vanier CGS in 2012, Alberta-Innovates Technology Futures (AITF) Scholarships in 2011 and 2010, J.B. Hyne Research Innovation Award from University of Calgary in 2012, Departmental Research Award from University of Calgary in 2009 and 2010 and Teaching Excellence Award from University of Calgary in 2011. He has published several peer-reviewed research papers in journals, book chapters, conferences and workshops, served in technical program committee of several conferences and workshops, co-organized conference and workshops.
- Big Data Analytics
- Parallel, distributed and in-memory processing systems
- Streaming data analysis
- Web and Social Media analytics
- Machine Learning
- Prediction models
- Recommendation systems
- Deep learning
- Data Modeling
- Semantic and Formal Modeling
- Semantic and Formal Reasoning
- Natural language modeling and processing
- Cloud Computing
- Services Computing
- Monitoring and management of cloud-based systems
- Storage in cloud-based systems
Chairs and Program Committees
- The International Workshop on Semantic Big Data, ACM Special Interest Group on Management of Data (ACM SIGMOD) 2019, 30 June to 5 July 2019, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- The 13th International Conference on Digital Society and eGovernments (ICDS 2019), 24 - 28 February 2019, Athens, Greece.
- The 14th International Conference on Internet and Web Applications and Services (ICIW 2019), 28 July 28 to 01 August 2019, Nice, France.
- The Intelligent Data Mining session at the IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE Big Data 2018), 10 to 13 December 2018, Seattle, WA, USA.
- The 19th IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration (IEEE IRI 2018), 7-9 July 2018, Salt Lake City, UT, USA.
- Workshop on Data Mining for Geophysics and Geology, SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SDM 2018), 3-5 May 2018, San Diego, California, USA.
- The 10th International Conference on Advances in Future Internet (AFIN 2018), 16 to 20 September 2018, Venice, Italy.
- The International Workshop on Semantic Big Data, ACM Special Interest Group on Management of Data (ACM SIGMOD) 2018, Houston, TX, USA
- The 13th International Conference on Internet and Web Applications and Services (ICIW 2018), 22-26 July 2018, Barcelona, Spain.
- The 11th IEEE International Conference on Open Source Systems and Technologies (IEEE ICOSST 2017), 18-20 December 2017, Lahore, Pakistan.
- The 18th IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration (IEEE IRI 2017), 4-6 August 2017, San Diego, California, USA.
- The 11th ACM International Conference on Distributed and Event-Based Systems (ACM DEBS 2017), 19 - 23 June 2017, Barcelona, Spain.
- The Doctoral Consortium at the International Joint Conference on Rules and Reasoning (RuleML+RR 2017), 12 - 15 July 2017, London, United Kingdom.
- The Twelfth International Conference on Internet and Web Applications and Services, (ICIW 2017), 25 - 29 June 2017, Venice, Italy.
- The 9th International Conference on Advances in Future Internet (AFIN 2017), 10-14 September 2017, Rome, Italy.
- The 16th International Conference on WWW/INTERNET 2017, 18–20 October 2017, Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal.
- The workshop on Data Mining for Oil & Gas (DM4OG 2017), at 2017 SIAM International Conference on Data Mining, 27 to 29 April 2017, Houston, Texas, USA.
- Semantic Big Data Workshop at the ACM Special Interest Group on Management of Data Conference (ACM SIGMOD 2017), 14-19 May 2017, Raleigh, NC, USA.
- The 17th IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration (IEEE IRI 2016), 28-30 July 2016, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.
- The 10th IEEE International Conference on Open Source Systems and Technologies (IEEE ICOSST 2016), 15-17 December 2016, Lahore, Pakistan.
- The 8th International Conference on Advances in Future Internet (AFIN 2016), 24-28, July 2016, Nice, France.
- The International Symposium on Big Data Management and Analytics (BIDMA 2016), 25-26 April 2016, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- The 11th International Conference on Internet and Web Applications and Services (ICIW 2016), 22-26 May 2016, Valencia, Spain.
- The Doctoral Consortium at the 10th International Web Rule Symposium (RuleML 2016), 6-9 July 2016, Stony Brook, New York, USA.
- The 15th International Conference on WWW/INTERNET 2016, 28–30 October 2016, Mannheim, Germany.
- IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Inderscience International Journal of Shipping and Transport Logistics (IJSTL), 2018
- Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute (MDPI) Journal on Sustainability, 2018
- Elsevier Journal on Information Processing and Management, 2018
- Hindawi Mobile Information Systems Journal, 2018
- PLOS ONE journal, 2018
- Reviewed one paper for IETE Journal of Research, 2018
- Reviewer for MDPI Applied Sciences journal, 2018
- Springer Journal on Knowledge and Information Systems (KAIS), 2017
- ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR), 2016
- Springer Journal of Social Network Analysis and Mining (SNAM), 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017