The Carleton School of Information Technology invites applications for Contract Instructors for the following courses for the 2023-24 academic year.
Fall 2023 (Term runs from September 2023 – December 2023)
ITEC 4011: Artificial Intelligence for Digital Media
This course covers the basics of artificial intelligence in games and animation, including behaviour and crowd systems (e.g. boids, reciprocal velocity obstacles, social forces, agent-based modelling, cellular automata), path finding and route planning, as well as procedural animation systems. Lecture three hours a week, tutorial two hours a week.
ITEC 5002: Fundamentals of Information Technology Research
Basic concepts and techniques in information technology, including information systems, algorithms and software development process, research methods, and research and technical writing. basket analysis. Lectures three hours a week.
Please note that all of these courses are scheduled to run in-person for the coming academic year.
Qualifications: Applicants should have a Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in Information Technology, Computer Science, Design, or another discipline related to the course they are applying for. Alternatively, a Bachelor’s degree in a related field plus relevant work experience in lieu of a graduate degree will be considered. Demonstrated knowledge of the course subject matter is required; previous teaching experience in the subject area is not required but is considered an asset.
Application Process: In accordance with Article 15.3 of the CUPE 4600-2 Collective Agreement, applications must include the following:
- An up-to-date CV, including educational background, employment history, and related work experience.
- A complete listing of all courses taught within the CUPE 4600 (Unit 2) bargaining unit at Carleton University.
- A cover letter describing their expertise in the relevant course subject matter.
- Evidence of teaching competence through past teaching evaluations from Carleton or other institutions (if applicable).
- Contact information of two references.
- A completed Contract Instructors Application form.
Please submit all application materials electronically as a PDF to the attention of:
- Dr. Robert J. Teather, Director
- Carleton School of Information Technology
- c/o Maathanki Paraparan, Administrative Assistant at: Maathanki.Paraparan@carleton.ca
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin April 14, 2023 to receive full consideration.
Remuneration: The current stipend for contract instructors can be found in the CUPE 4600-2 Collective Agreement, Article 22.
A note to all applicants: Per Articles 16.3 and 16.4 in the CUPE 4600-2 Collective Agreement, the posted vacancies listed above are offered first to applicants with incumbency. A link to the current CUPE 4600 (Unit 2) Collective Agreement can be found at the Academic Staff Agreements webpage on the Carleton University website.
All positions are subject to budgetary approval. The University may require that all or part of these courses be delivered remotely, including online. Term dates are provided for reference, but note that these positions extend beyond the last date of classes, e.g., into the exam and grading period at the end of each semester.
Pre-Posting Hiring Decisions:
- The following courses have been assigned to graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, or visiting scholars. These courses are *not* open for applications. If you are an incumbent for a course below, you may contact the School to review the rights under Article 17.6 of the CUPE 4600-2 Collective Agreement.
- Fall 2023
- ITEC 4009: Rigging & Advanced Character Animation
- OSS 3013: Software Design for Optical Systems
- Winter 2024
- IRM 4004: Applied Machine Learning and Big Data Analytics
- ITEC 3100: Immersive Storytelling
- ITEC 4016: Virtual and Augmented Reality
- The following courses have been filled and these courses are *no longer* open for applications.
- Fall 2023
- IMD 1000: Introduction to Interactive Multimedia Design
- IRM 3006: Data Analysis and Research Methodology
- ITEC 5207: Data Interaction Techniques
- OSS 4008: Remote Sensing
- Winter 2024
- IMD 3002: 3D Computer Graphics
- IMD 3004: Human Computer Interaction and Design
- NET 2007: Basics of Transmission Systems
- NET 2013: Computer Systems Foundations
- NET 4003: Computer Systems Architecture
- ITEC 4014: User Experience Design and Accessibility
- ITEC 4019: Directing and Cinematography for Digital Storytelling
- ITEC 4020: Environment and Architectural Modelling