My name is Robert Teather. I am an assistant professor in the School of Information Technology at Carleton University. I previously worked as a postdoctoral fellow on the G-Scale project with Dr. Jacques Carette. I am currently recruiting graduate students in human-computer interaction and interactive digital media at Carleton. If you are interested in working with me on any of the research areas listed below, please see my page for prospective students.
- April 2017: An article on game input controls has been accepted for publication in Entertainment Computing.
- April 2017: The IMD Senior Project Fair held April 8 was a big hit. See here for a news article on the fair.
- March 2017: Prof. Girouard and I have been awarded a CFI grant to build a lab studying interactions in digital media systems (including games and VR)!
- Feb 2017: Two late-breaking work submissions co-authored with my grad students were accepted to CHI 2017!
- June 2016: Submissions for SUI 2016 are due July 1!
- April 2016: I have been invited to serve as program co-chair for the IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces - 3DUI 2017-2019!
- Jan. 2016: Moved to Carleton!
Broadly, my research interests fall in several intersecting areas of human-computer interaction:
- 3D User Interfaces
- Input Devices and Interaction Techniques
- Game User Interfaces
- Virtual Reality
Establishing methods for direct comparison of 2D and 3D interfaces for conceptually equivalent tasks, e.g., selection and manipulation interfaces.
Evaluating novel user interfaces such as tilt control or touchscreens, or distraction in multi-task systems.
Human performance with game input devices (e.g., in complex tasks involving navigation, selectiona and manipulation of objects in a game environment. Scalability of game user interfaces.
Factors influencing human performance in VR, e.g., stereo 3D graphics, haptic feedback, head-tracking, etc.
Selected Recent Publications
- Teather, R.J., Roth, A., MacKenzie, I.S., (2017) Tilt-touch synergy: Input control for "dual-analog" style mobile games, Entertainment Computing, in press.
- Scavarelli, A., Teather, R.J.. (2017) VR collide! Comparing collision-avoidance methods between co-located virtual reality users, Extended Abstracts of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI EA 2017, to appear, May 2017.
- Ramcharitar, A., Teather, R.J.. (2017) A Fitts’ law evaluation of video game controllers: thumbstick, touchpad and gyrosensor, Extended Abstracts of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI EA 2017, to appear, May 2017.
- Young, T.S., Teather, R.J., MacKenzie, I.S. (2017) An arm-mounted inertial controller for 6DOF input: design and evaluation, IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces - 3DUI 2017, to appear, March 2017.