Brief Bio and Awards
Prof. F. Richard Yu received the PhD degree in electrical engineering from the University of British Columbia (UBC) in 2003. From 2002 to 2006, he was with Ericsson (in Lund, Sweden) and a start-up (in San Diego, CA, USA), where he worked on the research and development in the areas of advanced wireless communication technologies and new standards. He joined Carleton School of Information Technology and the Department of Systems and Computer Engineering (cross-appointment) at Carleton University, Ottawa, in 2007, where he is currently a Professor. His research interests include cross-layer/cross-systems design, security, green ICT and multimedia in wireless-based systems. He has published 410+ papers in reputable journals/conferences, 4 edited books, and 27 granted patents, with 9,000+ citations (Google Scholar).
He serves on the editorial boards of several journals, including Co-Editor-in-Chief for Ad Hoc & Sensor Wireless Networks, Lead Series Editor for IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology – Connected Vehicles Series, Editor for IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC) - Series on Green Communications and Networking, IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications Networking, Wiley Journal on Security and Communication Networks, and International Journal of Wireless Communications and Networking, a Guest Editor for IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing special issue on Advances in Mobile Cloud Computing, and a Guest Editor for IEEE Systems Journal for the special issue on Smart Grid Communications Systems. He has served on the Technical Program Committee (TPC) of numerous conferences and as the TPC Co-Chair of IEEE Globecom’17, VTC’17F, INFOCOM-IECCO’17, Globecom’16, INFOCOM-MCV’15, Globecom’14, WiVEC’14, INFOCOM-MCC’14, Globecom’13, GreenCom’13, ICCC’13-GMCN, CCNC’13, INFOCOM-CCSES’12, ICC-GCN’12, IEEE VTC’12S – Wireless Networks Track, Globecom’11 – Cognitive Radio Network Symp., INFOCOM-GCN’11, CNSR’11, INFOCOM-CWCN’10, IWCMC’09, VTC’08F Track 4, WiN-ITS’07. Dr. Yu is a registered Professional Engineer in the province of Ontario, Canada, a Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), and a Fellow of the IEEE. He serves as the Chair of the IEEE Technical Committee on Green Communications and Computing and the Chair of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Society – Ottawa Chapter. He is a Distinguished Lecturer, the Vice President – Membership, and an elected member of the Board of Governors (BoG) of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Society.
Awards and Honors:
· 2017 – Elevated to IEEE Fellow.
· 2017 – Elected as the Vice President - Membership of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Society, Sept. 2017.
· 2017 – Best Paper Award, IEEE VTC’2017Spring, Sydney, Australia, June 2017.
Ø N. Zhao, F. Richard Yu, Y. Chen, B. Chen, and V.C.M. Leung, “Internal Collusive Eavesdropping of Interference Alignment Networks,” in Proc. IEEE VTC’17S, Sydney, Australia, June 2017.
· 2017 – Distinguished Lecturer of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Society.
· 2016 – Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
· 2016 – Elected as a member of Board of Governors of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Society, Sept. 2016.
· 2016 – Certificate of Appreciation, from IEEE Access Journal, Jan. 2016.
· 2015 – IEEE Outstanding Service Award, IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom’2015), Vancouver, Canada, Dec., 2015.
· 2015 – Certificate of Appreciation, for the outstanding service as a Technical Program Committee Chair at IEEE Online GreenComm’15, from IEEE Communications Society, Nov. 2015.
· 2014 – Certificate of Appreciation, for the outstanding service as a Symposium Co-Chair at IEEE Globecom’14, from IEEE Communications Society, Dec. 2014.
· 2014 – Best of Globecom, IEEE Globecom2014, Austin, TX, Dec. 2014.
Ø Z. Yin, F.R. Yu, and S. Bu, “Joint Cloud Computing and Wireless Networks Operations: A Game Theoretic Approach,” in Proc. IEEE Globecom’14, Austin, TX, Dec. 2014.
· 2014 – Best Paper Award, IEEE ICC’2014, Sydney, Australia, June 2014:
Ø Gang Liu, Hong Ji, F. Richard Yu, Yi Li, and Renchao Xie, “Energy-Efficient Resource Allocation in Full-Duplex Relaying Networks,” in Proc. IEEE ICC’2014, Sydney, Australia, June 2014.
· 2013 – IEEE Outstanding Leadership Award, IEEE International Conference on Green Computing and Communications (GreenCom’2013), Beijing, China, Aug., 2013.
· 2013 – Best Paper Award Runner Up, SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing’2013, Baltimore, MD, May 2013.
Ø Y. Wang, H. Tang, F.R. Yu, and M. Huang, “Mean Field Game Theoretic Approach for Security in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks,” in Proc. SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing’2013, Baltimore, MD, May 2013.
· 2012 – Best Paper Award, IEEE Communications Society TAOS Technical Committee, IEEE Globecom’2012, Anaheim, CA, Dec. 2012:
Ø S. Bu and F.R. Yu, “Dynamic Energy-Efficient Resource Allocation in Cognitive Heterogeneous Wireless Networks,” in Proc. IEEE Globecom’2012, Anaheim, CA, Dec. 2012.
· 2012 – Research Achievement Award, from Carleton University, “to recognize outstanding research achievement”.
· 2011 – Early Researcher Award (ERA) (formerly Premier’s Research Excellence Award), from the Province of Ontario, “for demonstrated excellence of research contributions, to attract and retain the very best and brightest research talent in Ontario”.
· 2010 – Excellent Contribution Award, IEEE/IFIP TrustCom’2010, HongKong, P.R. China, Dec. 2010.
Ø R. Ramamoorthy, F.R. Yu, H. Tang and P. Mason, “Joint Authentication and Quality of Service (QoS) Design in Cooperative Communication Networks”, in Proc. IEEE/IFIP TrustCom’10, HongKong, P.R. China, Dec. 2010.
· 2009 – Leadership Opportunity Fund Award, from Canada Foundation of Innovation, “to attract and retain the very best of today’s and tomorrow’s researchers in Canada at a time of intense international competition”.
· 2009 – Best Paper Award at IEEE/IFIP TrustCom’2009, Vancouver, BC, Aug. 2009.
Ø F.R. Yu, H. Tang, F. Wang and V.C.M. Leung, “Distributed Node Selection for Threshold Key Management with Intrusion Detection in Mobile Ad Hoc Network,” in Proc. IEEE/IFIP TrustCom’09, Vancouver, BC, Aug. 2009.
· 2009 – Certificate of Appreciation, from Defence R&D Canada (DRDC) - Ottawa.
· 2005 – Best Paper Award, Int’l Conference on Networking’2005, Waterloo, ON, Canada.
Ø F. Yu and V. Krishnamurthy, “Efficient Radio Resource Management in Integrated WLAN/CDMA Mobile Networks,” International Conference on Networking 2005 (ICN’05), Springer-Verlag, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, LNCS 3421, pp. 912-919, ISBN 3540253386, 2005.